Skip to main content

tv   The Five  FOX News  March 31, 2014 2:00pm-3:01pm PDT

2:00 pm
you know, this kind of stuff will never stop until a gm executive goes to jail. that's not a crash victim saying that. it's a former head of the safety agency in charge of investigating it. the explosive interview you can only catch at 8:00 p.m. on fbn tonight. scary stuff. see you then. hello, everyone. i'm kimberly guilfoyle along with bob beckel, eric bolling, dana perino, and tom shillue. it's 5:00 in new york city, and this is "the five." it's a deadline day for obamacare, just seven hours until the window closes for this year's open enrollment for president obama's signature healin a fitting term, the healthcare.gov website crashed several times today for those trying to beat the cutoff. despite the technical glitches, the white house machine claimed more than 6 million americans have enrolled so far, and former obama senior adviser david plouffe claims the numbers are much higher.
2:01 pm
>> the law is working, and this was a seminole achievement. by the way, if you count people who are going directly to private insurance companies, medicaid, children's health care, you're talking well north of 10 million people who have health care. tens of millions more have security. >> john barrasso doesn't see eye to eye with the enrollment claims, something the obama team disputs. >> i think they're cooking the books on this. people want to know the answers. >> if we're cooking the books, don't you think we would have done it in october and november? >> people who aren't enthusiastic about the law working, haven't done outreach to their constituents, haven't given accurate information, are now suggesting the enormous interest in enrolling in health care is not existing. it does exist. we did pass the 6 million mark this week of individuals who had enrolled. >> how fun. i love it. 6 million. magically, they hit the number, eric. >> so it's -- i spent a lot of time over the weekend thinking about this. on the right, you had people
2:02 pm
saying the books are about to be cooked, you're being lied to. on the left, they're saying what a success. at the end of the day -- banned phrase, sorry. gr that's okay. >> you have to follow the money. you have to follow the money trail. we don't know how many people have signed up. we have to take people's word for it. we don't know how many paid, we don't know how many are invincibles, the young people between 18 and 35 who are healthy, and more importantly, we don't know how many are signed up or signing up for medicaid. the point is obamacare is a belly flop. we'll find out after the midterm elections, and that's where the plain politics garbage goes down, you'll never really know until after the midterms, but i would bet a fortune on the fact that number one, the numbers aren't as good, and number two, another fortune i would bet that the numbers, the cost of obamacare, will probably double or triple from the original estimates or more, and it's going to be a disaster, and they will blame someone.
2:03 pm
it won't be their fault. it will be something else they'll find to blame, a scapego scapegoat. >> what do we know, that we're relatively certain about? >> i don't think they would have said 6 million enrolled if they didn't have that number, but i do think the american taxpayers who are funding this effort deserve to know if the people who have enrolled have indeed paid and who they are and how to move forward. i think on obamacare, as with any big effort, it's probably not as bad as its worst critics say and it's definitely not as good as its stronger supporters say. it's interesting to watch secretary sebelius take a victory lap. they extended the deadline for two weeks. fine, now we have that. even the more difficult pieces are yet to come. the cuts to medicare, the changes in medicaid, and in addition, i take a little bit of objection to david plouffe's comments that the people who are signed up are more secure than
2:04 pm
they were before, because the big number that matters a lot is the whole purpose of obamacare was to get those who were uninsured to get insured. but it turns out, the 6 million, you can't tell how many were uninsured before and how many people who had plans that got canceled then were responsible people who figured out how to work through the website and get it done. >> i think that's the basis of the most strong criticism, is how do we know the numbers, accounting here? i find questionable it's interesting, they projected, 6 million, all of a sudden, they magically hit the number. >> i'll accept 6 because it was 9, and then they changed it to 7, and now we're supposed to celebrate 6. >> i guess 6 million if it's actual signps would be cause for celebration. mr. beckel seems to be surprising. >> you all have stolen this illusion that this is going to go away. it's here. it's there, and it's going to be the law of the land for hundreds of years. it could be changed, there could
2:05 pm
be things that would be better, but i wouldn't be surprised if they hit 7 million by tonight. that thing has not crashed except for today because so many people were trying to get into it. it is true that premiums are going up in many cases but they're getting much better insurance companies. mckinsey and company, which is probably considered one of the best analytical companies in the world, said 75% of those who have signed up for insurance have paid and 27% have never had insurance before. i'll take them to the bank before i take the white house or the republicans, certainly the republicans. >> how many are young people? >> that figure they don't have. >> and how many of the quote/unquote paid are medicaid recipients? >> they said 75% of those who signed up for private insurance paid their bills. >> in addition, how many people who had insurance before who do now have low-income subsidies. american taxpayers who are funding this deserve to know. >> tom, what do you think we deserve to know? >> there's too many numbers in
2:06 pm
this. i think people who are against obamacare have been focusing on the wrong thing from the very beginning. first it was the website, and that was going to be fixed, and obviously, that is fixed so that's off the table. now they're focusing on, are they telling the truth about the numbers? eventually, they'll get to the numbers. i think the thing to focus on is young people. the whole purpose of obamacare, young, healthy people are going to pay for old, sick people. say that over and over again. that's what's happening. then you can say, yes, it's here to say unless you vote for me. vote me in and i will repeal it. that's what they have to repeat. i think this is the gift that's going to keep on giving for young people because they're going to realize that obamacare stinks because they're covered until they're 26 and they get out and they realize, why am i paying -- >> for bob beckel. >> get it out of your head. they're not going to repeal it. the numbers are too big, too many people involved in it. let me tell you something, young people have been paying for old people for years. >> and they're tired of it.
2:07 pm
>> why should they be required to do it. for years, they had a choice not to do it. now you have no choice. >> look, bob, here, let's say that the 24 number that, which is the percentage of young people who have enrolled in the program, they have estimated through october, november, december, january, every month it's about 24%. let's say that's the actual number. you know what that's going to do to the cost of health care in america? all of a sudden, yupg peemg are going to have the lightning moment, that's so good. i would rather pay $3,000 a year instelof the $200. >> young people know they'll be covered until they go to the emergency room. >> you're hitting on a point that i think is important. let's listen to the cleveland clinic ceo saying three quarters of obamacare sign ups have higher premiums. tell it. >> people who have signed up, about three quarters of them, find their premiums are higher than they had been previously with other insurance.
2:08 pm
now, what we do know is that it's going to have major effect on health care providers. we know for example we're going to get paid less for what we do. medicare is making about $415 billion out of medicare expenses over the next ten years. so hospitals are going to be paid less for what they do. >> this is really important. not that the premiums are going up, that the hospitals, the actual provider of health care, which is this is what this is all about, are going to be paid less from obamacare, from the insurance providers, which means when it trickles down to the actual patient, these people, these insurers are going to say do you really need that heart surgery? maybe you can do without it. do you really need the hip replacement? maybe you can go six months or a year. >> they're going to have to be more selective. >> to cut cost, guaranteed that is your future. >> that was selectively edited. the guy went on to say the insurance policies are better. they're higher premiums, but
2:09 pm
they're better. the insurance policies at the low end were terrible. now they have all kinds of advantages under obamacare they never had before. >> dana has the answers. >> i'm all coordinated. i just reject the government telling me what is a good plan and what is not. and i reject them saying i'm too stupid to get online to figure it out myself. i'm against government control of every part of individual life. i think the market could do a very good job with backstops for low income people, but my big concern from the beginning on this, on the bigger picture, tom, that you were talking about, is how it exacerbates income inequality, and it will hurt low-income people a lot more. as we have seen in the last few weeks, you have more and more doctors deciding not to take insurance at all and not to take medicaid patients. and they're not going to be told they have to. who is going to pay for them? rich people, who will be able to afford private doctors. that's where this is going. you can see it happening right
2:10 pm
across the pond in the u.k. my concern is actually that we're -- i'm going to use another banned phrase, a pandora's box of negativity that will see us and dog us for years to come because it will be difficult to repeal it. once it's baked in the cake, another banned phrase. i'm on a roll. >> you're on a banned roll today. >> it's young people in liberalism. this is a stark example of how it doesn't work. it's going to be a great recruiting tool, bob. >> good for you, tom. >> speaking of funny business, let's look at "saturday night live." they have summed it up perfectly. whenever you're curious why something is happening, call in kim kardashian. >> let's bring in kim kardashian. dressed like princess elsa from frozen. >> i love history, you know. hey, you're the president, right? oh, my god, are you like on
2:11 pm
money? why did you take my phone away from me? >> i'm not sure about this. >> good news. okay, instagram has saved 152,000 times. >> does it get better than that? >> what? >> nothing. nothing. >> no, not that. >> interesting. tom, what do you think. >> a great stetch. what was interesting, the thing they left out is they made obama look like an unwitting participant in this. >> right. >> but that's not what he really is. he's really into this stuff. you can bet he wanted to do funny or die, and it was great. he's good at it. he's great at this stuff. it's not good at the other stuff. >> like running the country? >> "saturday night live" they always do this. they're supposedly making fun of the president, but they're really trying to make fun of his handlers and saying it's too bad obama is running with the social media stuff. he's not caught in the mess. he's into it. >> creating the mess. >> you are -- a great
2:12 pm
achievement of the committee world. i assume that line about young people are going to turn republican was a joke, right? >> he's right. >> that's not going to happen. >> did you miss the pew report last week? >> i saw it. >> not that they're going to sign up for republicans. that they're a long way from that, but more double-digit number of millennials have turned against the democrats and unregistered from the democratic party since obama took office. >> the positions are still the same on social welfare. >> he's not -- he's making a point that is actually true. >> i wasn't making fun of tom. >> yes, you were. i'm protecting our guest host. >> now you made the mama bear mad. no, you didn't. tom, you can stay, because up next is your retirement money being squandered by wall street pirates? i always thought so. we're going to show you an important investigation you can't afford to miss. and later, oscar-winning actress gwyneth paltrow ignites
2:13 pm
a firestorm against working moms. we'll tell you what smarked the heated mommy war. that's ahead on "the five." stay with us. [ male announcer ] marie callender's knows you may not have time to roll out a perfectly flaky crust that's made from scratch. or mix vegetables with all white meat chicken and homemade gravy. but marie callender's does. just sit down and savor. marie callender's. it's time to savor.
2:14 pm
2:15 pm
2:16 pm
2:17 pm
all right. is the u.s. stock market rigs? according to michael lewisering author of the new book "flash voice" the disturbing answer to that question is, big surprise, yes. he talked about the world of high frequency trading in 60 minutes last night. >> what's the headline here? stock markets rigged. the united states stock market, the most iconic market in global capitalism is rigged. >> by whom? >> by a combination of the stock exchanges, the big wall street banks and high frequency traders. >> who are the victims? >> everyone who has an investment in the stock market. >> one of the heroes of the book is a former trader from the royal bank of canada who felt he had an obligation to reveal this
2:18 pm
truth to investors. >> a young man realized that the market that he thought he knew had changed. the market seemed to be willing to sell stocks, but the minute he went to buy it, someone else bought it. the stock went up. >> you wudetermined to get to the bottom of it. >> yeah. >> why? >> because it didn't feel right. it didn't feel right that people who are investing on behalf of pension funds and retirement funds are getting bait and switched every single day in the market. >> all right, let me talk to my brother, an expert on this, eric, is this true? >> okay -- >> and how does it work? >> let's go through the nuts and bolts quickly. there's a routing system. humans are out of the whole system. it's all electronic. there's a routing system that sends a trade to a system, kind of like the first stop on the trade. what these high-frequency traders realized is if they can see what is coming into that system, they can buy stock
2:19 pm
everywhere else in the planet, that this big company, royal bank of canada or hedge funds want to buy. they buy the stock everywhere else so royal bank of canada and hedge funds have to go to them to finish the order they want to finish. >> because there's not enough stock. >> because they didn't get enough at the first clearing house. that's how it works. now, it's illegal, yes. here's the free market libertarian in me who says survival of the fittest. they spent a lot of money to be the fastest car in the race, the fastest horse on the track or the fastest runner on the track, and they have done that. the problem is what they have also done is they have alienated the retail investor, the guy in iowa who wants to buy ibm stock, who realizes he can't compete with the speed of the trades. they're far faster than any human being can do it. i used to do it for a living. i realized computers were taking over. i got out of the business because i realized i can't compete with the computers.
2:20 pm
he's right. the problem is when the high-frequency traders are the last game in town, they're just going to be picking each other's pocket for money, and there's no new money coming in. like a casino, big betters make a lot of money, but they need the small betters to come in and lose money. nothing illegal about it. >> dana, let me ask you, the lowest tolling of stocks by average americans in a long time, 50% or something. you think they think -- had an instinct it was rigged? >> well, i think the issue of risk aversion in everything that we do, especially there's a big gender difference. women and their investments very different from men's decisions because they tend to -- women tend to hold back a little bit. so do i think that people after the 2008 financial crisis were sort of worried about being in the stock market? yes, and then you talk about income inequality. one of the ways to make good money is to invest and risk in
2:21 pm
the stock market. that's what a lot of rich people have been able to do, and other people are more concerned about doing that. now, to eric's point, if you are risk averse and you think there's no way you can actually make any money anyway, you might hold your money in a bank where it doesn't make as much of a return, and then our whole system, which counts on money coming in and out, starts to hurt. >> you said something in the break, you thought this was no big surprise. you thought this was rigged all along. is that because of this? obviously, we didn't know much about this. >> no, i read the tease, i didn't say it in the break, but nevertheless, no, that's not my personal viewpoint, that was the tease for the block, but i think this is the way of the future. i don't know how you're going to get around it. i'm concerned about the small investors who can't compete. like an unfair advantage. it's like a human going up against a robot. you're outclassed. >> were you making fun of my tease? >> no, it was her tease. >> your tease? >> i read it.
2:22 pm
>> i'm sorry, i have a very short-term memory. tom, you may go to the bigger investors in this area, what do you think? >> look, am i the only one who doesn't feel bad for the guy in the story? we all know that we get kind of skimmed by wall street when we buy stock, our brokerage firm takes fees. even when we do the discount brokerages online where we take control of our own stocks, we have to pay every time we trade. that's what happens with the medium-sized banks, then these banks get skimmed by these banks. it's like the .01% is getting screwed by the .001%. i don't feel bad for this guy. we're getting skimmed on every level. >> look at it this way, the top bank gets skimmed and the intermediate banks are skimmed more. by the time it gets down to the retail investment, it's been skimmed four and five and maybe six times over. if we all had the same idea to buy a stock at the same time, the bank gets it at x price, and the investor gets it --
2:23 pm
>> how do you avoid getting burned? how do you avoid this from happening? how do you fix the problem? >> a lot of this money is going into pension funds. so there are a lot of people, average people, getting hurt by this. the big banks try to buy big blocks of stock and they pay more for it. it does affect people on down the line. all right, i thought it was -- >> you were almost going to say "one more thing." >> no, i didn't. the clearest balock we had in a long time. thank you. coming up, what happens when you mix baseball, taco bell, and chris christie? you get a lot of damn food. eric reveals the wild results of this fastest seven next on "the five." ♪ can you hear it?
2:24 pm
♪ fueling the american spirit.
2:25 pm
♪ no matter when, ♪ no matter where, ♪ marathon will take you there. ♪
2:26 pm
2:27 pm
(agent) i understand. (dad) we've never sold a house before. (agent) i'll walk you guys through every step. (dad) so if we sell, do you think we can swing it? (agent) i have the numbers right here and based on the comps that i've found, the timing is perfect. ...there's a lot of buyers for a house like yours. (dad) that's good to know. (mom) i'm so excited.
2:28 pm
so what do you get when you mix a breakfast burrito, a dodger dog, and chris christie? nothing a little pepto biz mole couldn't cure. you get a story to write home about. three meaty stories. seven minutes. opening day across america, and kids are ditching school, heading out to the ballpark. baseball is hugely popular. millions upon millions of viewers, fans, and experts, but is baseball still america's sport. as a pro/ex-pro ball player, you may be surprised where i come down? >> i love baseball. that's my first favorite and i used to go to the doubleheader games. i would even go early at candlestick where it's early and cold, but i didn't care. i wanted to be there to watch batting practice of a doubleheader game. what does that tell you? >> you're a junky.
2:29 pm
bobby, football or baseball? >> football. nfl is the dominant sport in america, but baseball has made a comeback. they were starting to lose people. i like to go to baseball games, too. they have done things to speed the games up. you could go to watch a game and not get out until the next day. >> they put in a rule this year, they're going to do instant replay. our resident expert in sports, what's america's pastime? >> i think by tradition, baseball, and i still think families love to go, love to get together, and still a lot of kids are playing baseball. i'm always nervous to go to the game when the ball gets hit into the stands, you have to pay attention. >> have to bring a glove. >> as a viewer, i don't like to watch baseball on tv. i don't go to that many games. i like to watch football on tv. >> what about you, tom? >> in the future, baseball is going to be only more popular because the pace is slow. i like a slow baseball game. some of my best memories are in the summer, sitting around,
2:30 pm
listening to the ball game on the radio and doing nothing. as our culture gets more and more about fast and immediate gratification, it's a time-out, a breather. it's beautiful. like track and field and chess all in one. it's great. >> chess? chess? >> de blasio is going to throw out the opening pitch. >> taco bell has been eating mcdonald's lunch and now they plan to bite into their breakfast, too. taco bell entering the breakfast wars with a loud, big, and effective shot at the big dog in fast food breakfast. >> to show you how much people are loving taco bell's all new breakfast, we asked special people. >> my name is ronald mcdonald. >> i'm ronald mcdonald jr. and this is ronald mcdonald iii. >> my name is ronald mcdonald. >> what do you think? >> really good. i was surprised at how good. >> i love the a.m. crunch wrap. >> i'm ronald mcdonald and i love taco bell's new breakfast. >> start with kimberly. she's our foodie. let's start with kimberly and go
2:31 pm
this way. >> why, why are you putting me in this? i'm into it. let's not kid around. i love egg mcmuffins. you can be my friend if you show up with one of those and a latte. now, taco bell, i'm a fan because i like the price points. i'm feeling that, too, so i'm looking forward to this. >> right. >> immediately, and i thought we were -- we must have a budget problem, because where is the food? >> budget problem. tom, chipoultly is extremely popular, out of control popular. they're pulling profit shares. where are you? >> chipotle is a great food, i love it, but it's late night food. the thing the fast food restaurants need to learn, the people who like fast food breakfast the most don't wake up until 11:00. you wake up and you want the breakfast but you can't bought they shut it down at 10:30. that's the shame. why about breakfast all day? >> this has to go against everything you stand for, breakfast burritos. >> i used to love at the white
2:32 pm
house, you could get it from the -- you could get the breakfast tacos. if you knew it was going to be a crappy day, you could get one to start the day off. i have to say, being older and wiser, i would never eat this. like a personal choice. i don't care what anyone else wants to eat, but i would rather not eat anything than eat that because i would feel terrible. >> i can't imagine anything for breakfast with sticky bean crap they throw in the middle, but mcdonald's has led the way. they were the first to get in the breakfast business, and they sort of lead the way, and the other guys take advantage. i thought it was a brilliant ad and they're going to do well. >> last november, chris christie was the front runner among gop 2016 hopefuls. then hurricane sandy hit. in its wake, a walk with president obama on the jersey shore became known as the bear hug. it trained christie's political capital to nearly bankruptcy. megyn kelly asked the new jersey governor about the
2:33 pm
aforementioned bear hug. >> they felt you hurt mitt romney a week before the election in what appears to be at that time a tight race. did you? >> no, and the best source for that information is not me. it's mitt romney. and i have seen him publicly say over and over again that it had absolutely no effect or role in the race, either subjectively for the way he felt or objectively in the way the polls were at the time. the answer is no. >> he was gracious about it, but it doesn't mean the voters will be, right? >> let's do a focusest fastest seven. can he survive or come back from the bear hug? >> survive to do what? he survived. will he run as president? i don't know. it's wishful thinking for anybody who believes that chris christie caused mitt romney not to win. there were many structural flaws in the campaign we need to own up to and stop blaming chris christie. >> let me go to my politico here. can he come back from that? >> i think it's going to be
2:34 pm
easier for him to come back from that than from the george washington bridge. getting a bear hug by christie at that time in his life, that's almost an assassination attempt. >> oh, bob, you're rather funny today. >> that's because tom's here. i think he's going to survive, i think he's going to run, and i don't think he's going to win. >> kg? >> okay, if i was mitt romney, i wouldn't love to look up at the screen and see chris christie, my buddy, someone i really -- in my opinion, would be looking up to, helping me, who was speaking at the convention, giving that big hug in that time. i would be like, oh, no, you're my friend. sounds ridiculous, but i wouldn't love it. do i think he did it to hurt mitt romney? no, do i think a lot of people talked about it and felton easy about it? yes. does it seem like he's coming out of the whole thing and getting back into the 2016 mojo? yes. >> bob is wrong. the bear hug is going to hurt him more than the judge. no one really cares about the bridge thing. republicans don't care about the
2:35 pm
bear hug, it's not because they don't like bear hugs or they hate barack obama. they saw christie was trying to appeal to the moderate voter. >> we have to leave it there. don't forget to catch more of megyn's interview with governor christie tonight at 9:00 p.m. on deck, want to know how you can have a more happy and productive life? a simple plan that begins with watching "groundhog day" a few more times. the rest of the plan after the break. woman: everyone in the nicu -- all the nurses wanted to watch him when he was there 118 days. everything that you thought was important to you changes in light of having a child
2:36 pm
that needs you every moment. i wouldn't trade him for the world. who matters most to you says the most about you. at massmutual we're owned by our policyowners, and they matter most to us. if you're caring for a child with special needs, our innovative special care program offers strategies that can help. was a truly amazing day.ey, without angie's list, i don't know if we could have found all the services we needed for our riley. for over 18 years we've helped people
2:37 pm
take care of the things that matter most. join today at angieslist.com
2:38 pm
2:39 pm
♪ ♪ no two people have the same financial goals. pnc works with you to understand yours and help plan for your retirement. visit a branch or call now for your personal retirement review. ♪
2:40 pm
♪ put your little hand in mine ♪ put your little hand in mine ♪ there ain't mow hill or mountain we can't climb ♪ >> here's an interesting question. does the bill murray movie "groundhog day" hold a secret to living a happy life? charles murray, no relation to bill, he thinks so. his essay in the wall street journal, he has five tips to young people on how to live life to the fullest. they are consider marrying young, meaning like 26. learn how to recognize your soul mate. eventually stop spreading about fame and fortune. take religion seriously, and watch "groundhog seday" repeatedly. let's start with marriage. one of the things charles murray
2:41 pm
says when you're considering someone you might make a commitment to for marriage, you should not marry someone who has annoying habits you're not going to be able to overlook. >> it's so interesting you start with that point because i agree with everything he says in the essay except this. and the reason is, doesn't he realize, when you meet someone, they don't have any annoying habits. >> you don't know about them until later? >> they happen after you cohab tate with them for ten years. that's one thing. the other thing is i don't think it's that important because my wife and i, we probably annoy each other a lot, but you need to be on the same page with the big things. it's the big ethical issues, the religious issues. those are the big things, not the little habits. because everyone is going to have those. >> i can't imagine, bob, in your marriage that you had any habits that were annoying. i can't imagine. >> first of all, the thing that drove me crazy about my ex-wife is she kept moving my stuff around. you don't touch my crap. can i make one point about this?
2:42 pm
the thing i think makes sense, the religion thing is important, but when he talks about stop fretting about fame and fortune. so many people don't live for today. their mind is taking them ahead. yesterday is gone. nothing you can do about it. it's today you can make a difference. i think that's a very important thing. >> did you like any of the tips in this essay, eric? >> i like the religion one. i agree with that. i also like what you said goes to the groundhog day. live every day of your life like it's going to be different. don't let -- get yourself into that groundhog day routine where every day is the same, but i think his first point, marry young, consider marrying young, whatever, is so off base. don't marry young. forget marrying young or old. marry right. marry someone you have fun with, someone you can wake up every day and laugh and make every day not groundhog day. the opposite of groundhog day. >> i like that idea. >> however, just being happily
2:43 pm
married doesn't necessarily mean your life is fulfilling and happy. >> 85%. >> hello, that's in your fantasy land because you're hoping to be one of the five. >> i have done it once. >> no, erroneous, i was not married five times. i like what eric said. what if you didn't do that. maybe that's where i went wrong. maybe i should marry someone young. >> cougarville. i like it. >> cougarville? gosh, she's come a long way, hasn't she? >> that's a voe. actually on television. it's real life, not for real. like a fantasy. can i ask you to wrap us up here? why do you think people should watch "groundhog day" over and over? >> it's a great film. the grit thing is you almost have to be like bill murray and watch the movie over and over again to get the point. "it's a wonderful life" is about what would happen if you weren't born. this takes the philosophy and is
2:44 pm
like, what would happen if you relived the same day over and over. he starts as a dog, and by the end of the film, he becomes a good person because he can't help it, he sees what is valuable in life. >> that's why i came to you. directly ahead, the therapist behind gwyneth paltrow and chris martin's conscious uncoupling breaking down the meaning behind the now famous phrase. that's ahead on "the five." peace of mind is important when you're running a successful business.
2:45 pm
so we provide it services you can rely on. with centurylink as your trusted it partner, you'll experience reliable uptime for the network and services you depend on. multi-layered security solutions keep your information safe, and secure. and responsive dedicated support meets your needs, and eases your mind. centurylink. your link to what's next.
2:46 pm
2:47 pm
2:48 pm
last week, gwyneth paltrow and chris martin's break-up put the phrase conscious uncoupling on the map. the term left many wondering what it all means. the licensed psychoobabalist explained it today on the today show. >> a conscious uncoupling is a breakup that's characterized by good will, by generosity, and by respect. it is a process that leaves both parties feeling valued and appreciated for all that was shared. you know, the thing about conscious uncoupling is it opens up, just in the language itself, it opens up a new possibility
2:49 pm
for how we could do this better, and i think we're better for that. >> i feel like lighting a candle. not only dit the split make headlines, but so did paltrow's remarks that said i think it's different when you have an office job because when you're chuting a movie, you work 14 hours a day. there are challenges, but it's not like being on set. it's the way she phrased it. >> right. >> okay, the conscious uncoupling thing, that was dumb, okay? but i'm going to excuse that because there are couples, they're having a divorce and looking to their girouxs to help them out. i'm going to defend gwyneth pal row and her goop site. everyone calls her a snob and an elitis elitist, but she's just being her. am i right? she's a celebrity, don't we want celebrities to be true and not hide behind the man of the people nonsense. >> you can't pick up a magazine that doesn't have her featured in it somewhere.
2:50 pm
i came up with a different phrase. rather than conscious uncoupling, i call it pretentious unraveling. >> and that's what they're doing. they're having a pretentious unraveling. >> for all the world to see. >> how about a conscious coup coupli coupling. >> he's still doing it. >> people have worked very hard, i include myself in that, in trying not to have a dramatic divorce and do it in a friendly enough way that the kids don't get hurt by it. my kids were very young. divorce is going to hurt kids no matter what. but if you do it in a way that shows respect and admiration for the other person and make it clear to the kids that it's not their fault and do it in a reasonable way, you're all right. and by the way, on the set, set this. this woman is one of the most obnoxious people i have ever run across. somebody should take a trailer and put an ice pick in the wheel. >> why are you so mad? >> she's on a set for 14 hours.
2:51 pm
can't she complain about it? can't rich people complain just like poor people, kimberly? >> absolutely. i mean, let her complain. this is not easy to do. i feel for -- >> oh -- $15 million, it ain't easy? >> money doesn't matter when you have children who have emotions, feelings involved. people talking about their parents because they're in the public eye. i wish them the best of luck coparenting. that's what's going to matter in the end. they can call it whatever they like in terms of conscious uncoupling. they have to work it out, come up with a plan, they feel it's best to stay in the home and raise their children, apple and moses. >> that tells you all you need to know. gr they're doing it their way and hopefully their kids are going to be better off for it. at least they have a therapist involved because i think that is helpful. i do like the goop site. three ways to cook a meal out of one chicken. >> got to get eric in here because he's married. >> i think it's very difficult to raise a kid when someone is in the public eye the way
2:52 pm
gwyneth paltrow is. i think it's more than doubly difficult to do when they're both, the father and mother, are both in the public eye, when you have two parents that are so, number one, on the road all the time, traveling. the kid is like, where am i? who is important to me? this sounds bad, but if there's one who is always traveling and one who is home, you say, dad has to travel or mom has to travel. when they're both traveling, it's difficult to do, and especially difficult to keep the marriage together. spending a lot of time. i don't know. >> she is fantasizing about a regular life. she wants to be a regular mom. >> i don't think that's what she's fandicizing about. >> she wants to be joe lunch box. >> what do you think she's fantasizing about? >> i would like to know what "vanity fair" was going to write and was scared out of doing it. >> "one more thing" is up next. . dentures are very different to real teeth.
2:53 pm
2:54 pm
2:55 pm
they're about 10 times softer and may have surface pores where bacteria can multiply. polident kills 99.99% of odor causing bacteria and helps dissolve stains. that's why i recommend polident. [ male announcer ] cleaner, fresher, brighter every day. [ male announcer ] cleaner, so ally bank has a that wothat's correct.a rate.
2:56 pm
cause i'm really nervous about getting trapped. why's that? uh, mark? go get help! i have my reasons. look, you don't have to feel trapped with our raise your rate cd. if our rate on this cd goes up, yours can too. oh that sounds nice. don't feel trapped with the ally raise your rate cd. ally bank. your money needs an ally. okay, you're up. >> shake and bake. >> a lot of play in the front end of the show. >> it won't last but for today. final four are in. florida is going to play connecticut, and kentucky is going to play wisconsin. here's my picks. florida will beat connecticut. kentucky will beat wisconsin. and florida will win. >> bollig, quick comment?
2:57 pm
>> i agree. let's wish happy birthday to, go for it, show the picture. al gore turned 66 today. today is the last day of march. 2,061 record lows in march. and a picture in new york, jay and laura got three inches of global warming, and also the next one in superior, michigan, they got a whole slew of global warming on their front driveway. >> count all the places that are warm. >> do you think al gore is going to sign up for social security today at 66? >> i want all the discounts. >> sure he has a few bucks put away. >> i had the most helpful e-mail of the weekend. i thought i would share it with all of you. it came actually from buzz feed. it was a list. 15 things you didn't know your iphone could do. i'm going to tell you a couple of them that are the best. say you're going to take a picture of eric and you take it like this. you want to take a landscape. you can use the volume up button
2:58 pm
to click the picturpicture. that's very helpful. >> hundreds of thousands of people saying i knew that. >> you can use your phone as a level, put it on the compass and you can hang a picture. also, this is very helpful. if you put your phone on airplane mode and charge it, it will charge twice as fast. isn't it fascinating, bob? >> fascinating. >> that's a good one. i'm going to use it because i didn't know it. >> i put it on airplane mode at night. little did i know. >> you can also find out what planes are overhead. >> or you can set different vibrations for different people texting you. >> in case you have people e-mailing you that you don't want anyone else to know about. >> okay. >> that happens to me a lot. >> that was like a super geeked out segment, just saying. >> call me clayton morris. >> you are. and you're like cliff klaven from cheers. tom? >> i'm a longtime barber shop
2:59 pm
quartet, and we lost a great one. one of the best of all time, he died yesterday. i was sad to hear the news. when other kids were listening to ac slae/dc, thank you, tommy. you taught me how to sing. >> is that true? you're in a quartet? >> yes. >> there's my quartet right there on the screen. fantastic. >> i don't see you there. oh, my god, it is you. >> we model ourselves after them. >> we -- i sing with justin timberlake, look at that guy. >> do you do it as a joke? >> it's not a joke. it's four-part harmony. it's close to my heart. >> let's do something important. the royals, can we show a picture of the baby? bob says they're endangering the child, but prince george looks absolutely adorable at eight months. we want to wish them the best and health and happiness. and for you at home as well. don't forget to set your dvr so
3:00 pm
you never miss an episode of "the five." we'll see you back here tomorrow. "special report" is next. the original deadline day for obamacare sign-up is here. the numbers, the spin, and the questions that remain. this is "special report." good evening. i'm bret baier. we're now less than six hours from the midnight eastern deadline to sign up for health insurance. under the president's new law. but the same type of failures, glitches, and misinformation that have haunted the program from day one are still lurking, even today. we have fox team coverage. wendell goler on a problem-filled countdown to zero hour at the white house. james rosen wi
left
right